Saturday, July 27, 2013

Patty Melts on Sourdough and Pickle Spears

Frying Up the Hamburger Patties
Patty Melts are like Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with a Hamburger Patty and Onions!  I usually make my Patty Melts on a Dark Rye Bread, but this time I was in the mood for Sourdough. 

Ingredients:
  • Hamburger Patties
  • Sourdough Bread
  • Real Butter
  • Onion - Sliced
  • Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese -Sliced VERY Thickly
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Pickles - Cut into Spears
    Nicely Browning the Sourdough Bread in Butter

I used to brown the whole stack (bread,cooked hamburger patty, cheese,onions) all at once, trying to get the onions just right, the cheese melted properly and the bread toasted to perfection.  What usually happened was either underdone bread, or burnt; cheese melting too fast and onions not cooked enough.  I did have it down to an art, and it can be done, but now that I have a microwave, why bother?

Pickle, Onions and Your stack ready for the microwave.
I cook the hamburger patties until they are a little underdone.  I toast one side of the bread slices in a pan with butter at my leisure. I chop the onion and cheese and stack it on the cooked hamburger patty.  I put it in the microwave between the two toasted slices of bread for just enough time in the microwave for the cheese to start melting.
 
2 Ready to Eat Patty Melts with Pickle Spears
The secret to perfect timing is to slice the cheese very thick and to watch the microwave for the cheese to start melting.  Remove it immediately once you see that.  It took about 2 minutes in my microwave.  The hamburger patty continues cooking, the onions get cooked just right and the cheese melts all over it, thus, The Patty Melt!

Serve with freshly sliced pickle spears and Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment