Sunday, July 14, 2013

Japanese Udon and Cabbage Salad

Japanese Udon Ingredients
We picked up a bag of Japanese Udon Noodles while we were at Mitsuwa.  We had already done our shopping, but the nice guy at the front entrance was serving up samples.  They were so good, I had to go back in and buy a bag.  He said he fried them in Canola oil and he added chopped cabbage and carrots.

I had never bought moist noodles in a bag and I don't normally even like noodles or pasta, but these were very chewy and picked up the flavor
of the seasoning very well.
Yaki-Udon Japanese Pan Fry Noodles & Sauce

Udon, Sauce, Onions, Oil & Garlic
Ingredients:
  • Japanese Style Udon with flavor packets
  • 1/2 Large Bag of Shredded Cabbage Coleslaw Mix
  • 3 Tbs. Sesame Oil
  • 1 Red Onion - chopped
  • 1 Bulb Garlic - chopped






I had planned on using olive oil, but it just didn't sit right with me, and since we had a little sesame oil, I used that instead.








Adding the Cabbage


As I was pouring the cabbage in I couldn't resist reserving half the bag to make some cabbage salad.  I love cooked cabbage, but I hadn't had Cabbage Salad in quite awhile, so I saved half of the bag for salad.



Stirring the Udon

I didn't quite get the same texture and color as the one served at Mitsuwa, but it was pretty close.  I guess I will just have to go back and get some more and try again.  I may have to purchase a Wok, hmmm?









Cabbage Salad Ingredients
Cabbage Salad Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Bag Shredded Cabbage Coleslaw Mix
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 1 tsp. Pepper
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Cup Vinegar

Cabbage Salad
I was taught to heat the oil and vinegar with the salt and pepper to boiling and then pour it over the cabbage and cover to let it marinate.  It was called German Cabbage.  I don't do that anymore because everyone runs out of their rooms coughing and wheezing from the smell of vinegar penetrating every corner of the house.  I am not sure why the old recipe called for that, but just adding the ingredients to the cabbage cold turns out fine and I don't have to distribute gas masks. 

Cabbage Salad and Japanese Udon
This salad is very addicting.  I like making it with just the purple (red) cabbage as well, it's even better.  I was really spoiled this time, using the already shredded and washed coleslaw mix, even though I still washed it again out of habit.  I'm debating on whether I should just get the bags from now on, it was so very easy, BUT the head of cabbage is thicker and has a spiciness to it that the bagged one doesn't.  Dilemma time...



No comments:

Post a Comment